The Geodetic Center of North America is about 40 miles south of Lebanon, Kansas, at Meade’s Ranch. It is the beginning point of reference for land surveying in North America. When a surveyor checks a property line, he or she is checking the position of your property in relation to Meade’s Ranch in northwest Kansas.
Fire Station No. 4 in Lawrence, Kansas – originally a stone barn constructed in 1858 – was a station site on the Underground Railroad.
Barton County is the only Kansas county (out of 105 counties) that is named for a woman, the famous volunteer Civil War nurse Clara Barton.
The Arkansas River may be the only river whose pronunciation changes as it crosses state lines. In Kansas, it is called the “Arkansas” (ahr-KAN-zuhs). On both sides of Kansas (Colorado and Oklahoma), it is called the “Arkansaw”.
Handel’s Messiah has been presented in Lindsborg, Kansas, each Easter since 1889.
Kansas is one of the nation’s largest producers of high quality black walnut lumber.
The Hollenberg Station, 2 miles northeast of Hanover, Kansas, is the only original Pony Express Station still standing in its original location. It is now a museum.
Hays House, in Council Grove, Kansas, is the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi River. It opened in 1857.