I finally was able to go out into the garden today since it stopped raining for a few days and the wind has dried out the soil. Still have a little to go and then I can set the beds up and begin planting. As you can see I still need to rake out the weeds. The structure in the front is the greenhouse I still need to complete.
I am still working the the skirts but hope to complete them and the crinolines by this week. As you can see that they are a rainbow of colors. I am hoping to complete them in a day or two since I only need to finish the pink one and sew the black one which is already cut out.
Handy Needle Tomato
Below is a picture of my needle tomato. Sorry about the picture being too fuzzy. I have each section marked to hold the different sizes of machine needles. This makes it easy to find the right size needle while keeping them dry so they do not get rusty. When I am finished with the project I just put the needle in the proper spot.
The Drive way from a distance
After some sewing and going shopping for a few supplies I came home anticipating being able to work in the yard. The ground was still too wet to weed or till. I tried weeding my herb garden only to have to soil hold together in big clumps. I noticed all of the herbs are now beginning to grow. This garden should look a lot better than last year. All we accomplished was adding some more gravel/soil mix to the front of the driveway. It took a few loads to bring this much. Now I need to get a quote from the Gravel Guy to see about getting gravel for the driveway and carport.
Chickens enjoying the warm day
Scratching the dug up area.
This beaded trim I was given to make a one of the skirts with has really became a challenge. I tried zigzagged sticking and straight on the side but ended up breaking three of my sewing needles on the machine (it has metal beads) and tearing it out two times because I did not like the bunching I got. I ended up finishing by hand stitching but still not happy with the results.
I like to have a finished edge and this is one way I do so when I am not using a French seam or some other technique. I sew any seams that are going to be pressed out or any stay stitching with my serger. This creates a clean, nice, professional look edge to prevent any raw edges from fraying. It is also more durable than just serging the seam.
Ah, I am finally feeling better and have enough energy to work on these skirts. I got two completed and one poodle skirt about 1/4 done. Sewing on the Holographic Soutache was a little more of a task than I expected it to be. I first tried to sew it on with a straight stitch but it would not sew on it so I ended up using a zigzag stitch with Embroidery thread. The poodle was an iron on Appliqué while the flower was an Appliqué I pieced together and used a zigzag stitch to sew it onto the skirt. There is no appliqué on the polka dot skirt.
Just went we thought spring was here.