You can use all types of meat and cheese for this pasta. You can also make it in the morning or a couple days before and bake in the evening. So if you make a roast beef, chicken or pork on Sunday you can make it and put into the refrigerator for Monday or Tuesday. That busy soccer or other night is less stressful and you will have a great meal the children with like too.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced cooked meat
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans 12-Oz diced tomatoes
- ground pepper
- 1 pound pasta, cooked as package instructed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or other cheese you enjoy. Cheddar would be good too with chicken
Pre-heat the oven to 400º. In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium high heat add the onions and carrots and cook until lightly browned. This should be about 10 minutes. Add the beef , garlic, and pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat and then bring back down to a simmer. Season with the salt and pepper.
Add the pasta and basil into the pot. Pour into a baking pan. Top with the cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned a little.
- Adapted from Hearty Baked Pasta: My Family Table by John Besh.